States of Matter – Response to Text
Answer each question to the best of your ability, using full sentences and make sure to include detail in your responses.
- What are the three states of matter commonly found on Earth, and what are TWO of their properties?
|State #1:Solid||State #2:Liquid||State #3:Gas|
|Property #1:Solids are hard substances like butter, wood or brick.||Property #1 Liquids are substances that have a definite volume but take the shape of their container.||Property #1 Gases are substances that do not have a definite shape or volume.|
|Property #2:Solids can be formed by using other states like butter can be formed just by shaking cream inside a jar.||Property #2 Liquids have a specific boiling point, which is the temperature at which they change from a liquid to a gas.||Property #2 Gases can be compressed and expanded easily, and they do not have a specific boiling or melting point.|
- What is the fourth state of matter called?
- What happens to the speed of molecules when the temperature increases?
- They move quicker
- They move slower
- They move at the same speed
- They explode.
- Explain what happens to the molecules in a liquid when they are cooled down to their freezing point.
|The average energy of the molecules decreases.|
- Explain what happens to the molecules in a liquid when they are heated to their boiling point.
|More energetic molecules change to a gas,spread out,and form bubbles.These rise to the surface and enter the atmosphere.|
- What could be the reason for the fact that gases can be compressed more easily than solids or liquids?
|Gases are compressible because most volume of a gas is composed of the large amounts of empty space between the gas particles.|
- Explain how each of these jobs might need to und4b verstand and work with different types of matter. (You may need to research to find out more)
|Baker||Gas is the steam that will be formed from baking.||Liquid will be used while baking milk will be used such as water.||The solid will be created from whatever they baked.|
|This is formed from the fire when there is a bizarre fire.||This is uses to take out the fire which is water form their hose which is attached to their truck||They use metal which is a ladder they use to get into high places that are hard to get into from the inside.|
|Welder||These include shielding the arc from impurities like air, dust, and other gases;||Welding Fluid is a special coolant for welding equipment equipped with liquid cooling.||Applies heat to metal pieces,melting and fusing them.|